RE: up2000 second cpu slot fried?

On Thursday, November 07, 2002 11:42 AM, Peter Petrakis
[SMTP:voodoo@alphadriven.org] wrote:
> > (posting from work cuz the 2.4 dp24 kernel i built doesn't boot - i
> > probably
> > forget an option - 2.2 generic boots, but doesn't have reiserfs 3.6
> > support.)
>
> pick DP264 systype, not generic. Also add SRM support.

yeah, i got dp264 set. it probably cleared the srm options and i didn't reset
it.

> > well, i got my up2000. unfortunetly, when i installed it in the case,
> >  part of the board touched the case and a big cloud of brown smoke
> > came out. the mobo looks ok; the burn marks are on the case, near
> > the isa slot. i think it just burned the clear-coating that's on the
> > steel case. needless to say, my heart sunk and i thought i fried a
> > whole expensive (and hard to find on ebay) mobo.
>
> I've -never- done that before :-P

yeah, me neither. i guess i'm lucky, even losing one slot.

> > i set the all the jumpers right, and put it into diagnostic mode.
> > everything
> > passes. cards work on both pci buses. the only thing that doesn't is
> > the left cpu slot. i have two 667mhz 4mb slot b modules. both work
> > in the right slot, so i know it's not a bad cpu. however, if i put
> > one cpu in the left slot, or both cpus in, it won't even boot into
> > srm or the diagnostics. both srom leds stay lit. am i missing
> > something simple, or did i fry it?
>
> Does the secondary CPU power good light come on and stay on???

iirc, no. i'll have to double check. it took a while, when i got the machine
to figure out that it was set for 750mhz 8megs. (it did actually boot once
with one cpu, running overclocked at 750.) my friend and i tried a bunch of
different things to try to get it working (including resetting to factory
defaults).

> If we start simple I would immediatly suspect the power supply. Make sure
> J25 is getting power. Where did you get the PS from and what are it's
> specs???

it's a brand new antec 550watt truepower. i also have a really big (only fits
in a full tower) turbocool-600 (really a 500 watt, 700 transient psu) that i
could also try. i did try both cpus w/o any drives or extra fans plugged in.
just a video card. that should be plently to powerup both cpus, the mobo, and
the video card.

> I don't know if you have access to a lab. You could check your supply
> voltages
> from the slot B connecter though I really wouldnt recommend it if you're
> not
> experenced in such things and don't have a isolation transformer available
> (that huge coil thingee that lets you dial up/down the voltage and keeps
> you
> safe).

yeah, that's a little over my head. the fans do run. maybe one of the power
traces to the second slot was burned out (though i didn't see any burn marks
or even smoke deposits anywhere on the board).

> > and if i did fry it, does anyone who is only using one cpu want to trade
> > mobos for some money? 8)
>
> Still makes a fast UNI system :-)

yeah, but i really want both cpus running. even with one, it is a lot faster
than my pws500, though.

> www.alphadriven.org

nice to see a new alpha site.

--