up2000 second cpu slot fried?

(posting from work cuz the 2.4 dp24 kernel i built doesn't boot - i probably
forget an option - 2.2 generic boots, but doesn't have reiserfs 3.6 support.)

please cc replies to the list and my work (from) address.

well, i got my up2000. unfortunetly, when i installed it in the case, part of
the board touched the case and a big cloud of brown smoke came out. the mobo
looks ok; the burn marks are on the case, near the isa slot. i think it just
burned the clear-coating that's on the steel case. needless to say, my heart
sunk and i thought i fried a whole expensive (and hard to find on ebay) mobo.

i set the all the jumpers right, and put it into diagnostic mode. everything
passes. cards work on both pci buses. the only thing that doesn't is the left
cpu slot. i have two 667mhz 4mb slot b modules. both work in the right slot,
so i know it's not a bad cpu. however, if i put one cpu in the left slot, or
both cpus in, it won't even boot into srm or the diagnostics. both srom leds
stay lit. am i missing something simple, or did i fry it?

and if i did fry it, does anyone who is only using one cpu want to trade
mobos for some money? 8)

--
Tom Vier <tvier@hunterlab.com>
Buyer