Re: SCSI broken on 2.4.18?

On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:12 am, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Your symptoms, SCSI bus timeouts, are sometimes indicative of
> a misconfigured kernel.
>
> When you built those custom kernels, were they GENERIC or
> specific for the LX? If the latter, AND you are booting from
> SRM, did you make sure to answer the "Use SRM as bootloader?"
> question as YES? If, on the other hand, you are booting from
> MILO, make sure to answer that question as NO.

Ah...so if I'm using aboot (or anything _but_ MILO), I still have
to check that box?  ...I did not know that; I thought that
option applied to some crazy boot-the-kernel-straight-off-floppy
option (as in x86, with the first 512 bytes of the kernel image
being a boot sector).  I learn something new every day...

The system now boots just fine, thanks a bunch!

> > For those who'd like to know, the box is a PC164LX
> > motherboard, 600MHz 21164 CPU, 512MB PC100, S3 Trio64, Intel
> > PRO/100 NIC, and the two SCSI cards I mentioned above.
>
> Have you had any problems with that Trio64 card? Note that
> under XFree86 4.1.0 and later, there are a number of cards
> that'll do 3D just fine on the LX, like the ATI PCI Radeons,
> with best performance on the latest PCI 7500.

I haven't actually tried XFree86 on it.  My plan has been to
replace it with a Radeon 7xxx, as you suggest, then install
LinuxFromScratch on it.

> > On a side note, how is DMA-enabled performance of the CMD646
> > controller on this motherboard?  Comparable to Intel PIIX4,
> > or something rather less spectacular?
>
> IIRC, it's maybe good to 16MB/s, but I've never used it
> myself.

Hmmm...good for a DVD-ROM drive, or maybe a 5400RPM hard drive.
Kind of a bottleneck for anything more, though...

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"