Re: Finding rsh package [was Re: Screen scrambling in Pine 4.44]

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > On a slightly different topic, why doesn't
> >              dpkg --search /usr/bin/rsh
> > find either rsh-clients or ssh?
>
> Because it only searches files directly included in packages which
> means alternatives aren't considered.

Ah. I've finally realized that there's a chain of symlinks leading
from /usr/bin/rsh to /etc/alternatives/rsh and back to
/usr/bin/netkit-rsh, for which dpkg --search would produce the package
name.

Might it be worth mentioning the possiblity of such symlinks at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting#findpkgver where the use of dpkg
is described for finding out which package to submit a bug report to?
I know I'm not the first person not to be able to figure out which
package rsh came from.