Re: netbooting alphastation 500 with current debian

Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:14:13AM -0400, alex avriette wrote:
> >
> > i'm real excited in that i've got bootp and tftp working to the degree
> > the alpha will load an image. anyone care to speculate on how to build
> > an image it will like?
>
> One way to build an image is to do "make bootpfile" after making the
> kernel, and a BOOTPable image will appear as arch/alpha/boot/bootpfile.
> It is uncompressed, so it can be fairly large (>1MB).

This is the way the Debian boot floppy scripts work currently.

> Another way is to build it via the "aboot" package, which has the
> advantage of building an image with the compressed kernel, so it is
> a good bit smaller, but does require the presence of the "aboot"
> development environment.

If anybody gets this to work, I would like to know... it would be a
lot easier for the boot floppy scripts, since it doesn't need a kernel
source, but I've not heard any success report with it yet.

--
	Falk