DPL: please delegate an equipment donations manager

Bdale,

This gentleman makes a good point.

Several days ago, this person and another (apparently independent) party
mailed me in my capacity as SPI Treasurer with offers of equipment
donations.

As SPI Treasurer, I am not empowered to accept or refuse donations on
behalf of Debian.  SPI manages the Debian Project's assets only in trust,
and disposes of those assets only as the Debian Project directs (except
where this might cause legal problems or jeopardize SPI's 501(c)3
status).

This is not the first time that potential donors have gone without a
dialog.  I think Mr. Hilarius hits the nail on the head; Debian does not
appear to have a person actually in charge of managing incoming
equipment donation proposals.  I mailed both -admin and -alpha in effort
to find a larger pool of interested people, but it appears possible that
neither group felt it had a mandate to speak authoritatively on the
subject.

(After all, if the Alpha porters don't need another box, the DSA team
doesn't need the administrative overhead of another box; and it's not
much good for the Alpha porters to accept a box if the DSA team is
unwilling or unable to administrate it for some reason.)

On a related point (speaking as a Debian developer), the DSA team may be
overworked/understaffed, and it may be apropos to appoint some
additional members.

In the event that this particular machine cannot find a home as an
official Project Alpha box, I suggest we arrange for the box to be
donated to a Debian Developer who is trusted and motivated to work on
the Alpha port, if the donor is agreeable to this.

As I stated in my earlier message, I do have a personal interest in an
Alpha machine.  If DSA cannot find a home for it, it has PCI slots,
and there is no greater calling for it among the Alpha porters, I'm sure
I can do some XFree86 testing work on it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Human beings rarely imagine a god
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     that behaves any better than a