Re: Alpha newbie install woes

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Shannon Menkveld wrote:

>     That's where the problem lies.  I cannot get the thing to run MILO to
> save my life.  I've tried from the CD-ROM, at scsi(0)cdrom(4)fdisk(0), and
> from floppy at multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0).  In both cases, the system accesses
> the target device, and then stops.  Drive lights go out, and if I hit
> <Enter>, I get prompted to press a key and return to ArcsBIOS.  Attempts to
> use ldmilo instead of linload return a "this system not supported" type of
> error message.

MILO has a whole bunch of interesting issues which I remember encountering
while installing Linux on an AlphaXL (one of the machines crippled to be a
Windows box only, and hence doesn't run SRM). If your machine supports it
(and I think all of them will apart from the XL series), I'd put SRM on
instead.

In fact that's what I'm about to do with another alpha I just inherited :)

--

Alastair Watts			Phone:	+61-414-558500
Network Systems Consultant	Fax:	+61-414-558505