Re: Optimizing Alpha

From: Terry A. Bowling <terry.bowling@verizon.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:47:11AM -0500
>    Is there a way to check this also without rebooting? I have a PWS600au and
>    I have no idea if I have the L3 cache - I assume I do not because I see 4
>    small plastic slots next to the cpu that are empty.

You could run some memory timing benchmark, but I wouldn't know if these
existed and what they are called.

>    Any ideas what this cache costs these days?  This sounds very related to
>    the recent comments on the debian-alpha list about Galeon being slow and
>    unstable as well.  My 600au has 192MB ram and it runs Mozilla 0.9.9 like a
>    DOG!!!  It takes a good 10-15 seconds for Mozilla to start up and it even
>    takes a long time for Konqueror to start up and render pages.

Check www.islandco.com, they probably sell them. Expect to pay upwards
of US$ 100 - or try to get it cheaper on ebay.

Oh, and would you please stop posting in both text and html?

As for Laurent, I wouldn't know how to switch it on. Either check
google, or the usenet-archive at google, or try comp.sys.dec /
comp.os.linux.alpha on usenet.

Did you try plugging out and plugging in the module?

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Beware of the half truth.  You may have gotten hold of the wrong half.
GNU/Linux 2.4.19p5 on Debian/Alpha 990 bogomips load:0.41 0.32 0.88