I killed my Debian on Alpha :( 2.4 blues

OK, I'm an idiot.  I'm not yet experienced with aboot.  I have an Alpha
that _was_ booting via SRM and me choosing a default configuration.  I
upgraded it to unstable and installed kernel 2.4.18? from Debian.
I can't boot the bloody thing at all now :(

All help appreciated, including an aboot tutorial before I go and
spend a possible £80 to upgrade the memory from 128M.  I'd like to
get it as sorted as the lilo.conf that I can now understand :)

This is a DEC PWS 433AU with 4GB disk and 128M of memory: it will be
connected to cable modem as part of my network.  What can I do to make
best use of it for Debian? [Once I get it to boot again :) ]

Andy