Re: Ark Logic

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 10:25:41PM +0200, Rustan Rosén wrote:

> I hav an as 200 4/166 with an ark logic graphics card, on which I try to
> run X4.1.0.1. I try to use the "ark" driver as documented in X, but when I
> run startx, it fails to load the "ark" module, says module does not exist.
> Is the driver in any package? I have x-window-system-core installed. I
> also have a cirrus logic card, and an s3 trio64 card, but none of those
> seems to be supported. Should I build X from source? Or just the driver?

The ARK driver, AFAIK, has never been ported to Alpha.

Same goes for the Cirrus driver.

S3 Trio64 is supported under 3.3.x, but not (currently) 4.x. Also, if
you do try this card, be sure to specify:

	Option	"no_pci_disconnect"

in the Device Section of your X configuration file, as those cards were
very problematic on AS200 and AS400.

Also, be careful if trying real new cards, since the BIOS emulator in the
console on AS200 is old and may not be able to handle the BIOS code on
those new cards (I'm thinking specifically about nVidia cards, but the
same most likely applies to ATI Rage128 and Radeon).

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com