Re: Alpha Boot Floppies: new version

I have used the boot floppy images from
ftp://134.2.15.134/boot-floppies/disks-alpha/ to attempt an install from scratch
on a Bret (AlphaStation 500/500).

The good news?  bootp/tftp boot works great!  In SRM, you need to select bootp
via console variable ('set ewa0_protocol bootp' or something like that) rather
than via a flag to the boot command ('boot -proto bootp ewa0' does not work,
failing with "Block FFFFFFF2 is not in any zone" messages).

The bad news?  The installation hangs during/right after installing the libc6.1
package.  It hangs so solid that the shell on the second virtual console will
not respond.  I even tried floppies rather than tftp and it stops in the same
location.  Is this a known problem?

Also, when trying to write aboot to the disk, it looks like the installer is
trying to swriteboot to the partition where the root filesystem is (/dev/sda<n>)
rather than directly to /dev/sda .

-Doug