Re: PYXIS machine checks w/ 1.5GB RAM

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:55:11AM -0500, Rich Payne wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:
> > Jay Estabrook wrote:

> > > There was a problem a while ago, with PYXIS support (MIATA/LX/SX)
> > > being limited to 1GB of RAM. Not a problem on LX/SX, since they have
> > > only 4 DIMM slots,
> >
> > Hmm, as an owner of the SX I wouldn't say so :-(
> > 512MB dimms are frequently used even on lowly pentiums these days.
> > Not being able to use them in my Alpha which is connected to currently
> > only 144GB but growing storage is a real setback for me.

Just so I'm clear on this, you've tried 512MB DIMMS with no luck on SX?

> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here..but still the SX is
> limited to 1Gig. I do not think that's a function of the fact that only
> 256MB DIMMs were available when the docs were written, I think it's a
> limitation of the chipset. Also keep in mind that possibly the pentiums of
> today can use 512MB Dimms, but the SX is several years old.

It's not really a matter of the docs, but a matter of what was available
to be tested against the memory-configuring code in the SROM.

It *may* do the right thing with things bigger than it was tested
against, but YMMV and Caveat Emptor and good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com