Re: PYXIS machine checks w/ 1.5GB RAM

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:

> Jay Estabrook wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:28:28AM -0800, sousa jack wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm having a strange problem while installing Debian
> > > 2.2 that doesn't appear in DU 4.0e on a DEC PWS500au
> > > Miata...
> > >
> > > My question: does the Linux kernel (on the Debian 2.2
> > > boot disks) have trouble addressing large amounts of
> > > RAM?  Or is my new memory possibly defective?  Has
> > > anyone encountered this before?
> >
> > There was a problem a while ago, with PYXIS support (MIATA/LX/SX)
> > being limited to 1GB of RAM. Not a problem on LX/SX, since they have
> > only 4 DIMM slots,
>
> Hmm, as an owner of the SX I wouldn't say so :-(
> 512MB dimms are frequently used even on lowly pentiums these days.
> Not being able to use them in my Alpha which is connected to currently
> only 144GB but growing storage is a real setback for me.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here..but still the SX is
limited to 1Gig. I do not think that's a function of the fact that only
256MB DIMMs were available when the docs were written, I think it's a
limitation of the chipset. Also keep in mind that possibly the pentiums of
today can use 512MB Dimms, but the SX is several years olf.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne
rpayne@alphalinux.org			www.alphalinux.org