Re: SRM Halt Codes

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 09:56:08PM +1100, Robert Martinovic wrote:

> Does anyone know what the different SRM halt codes mean, or know of a
> site that can tell me? I know if I halt the machine, it is halt code
> 5. But lately I have had the machine die on me and it is halt code 7.

These can be found in the Alpha Architecture Reference Manual, but you
*do* need to know where to look: Per-CPU slots in the HWRPB, the
Reason for HALT field (3rd edition, page (III) 2-19).

Code	Reason

0	Bootstrap, processor start, or powerfail restart
1	Console operator requested a system crash
2	Processor halted du to kernel-stack-not-valid halt
3	Invalid SCBB
4	Invalid PTBR
5	Processor executed CALL_PALL HALT instruction in kernel mode
6	Double error abort encountered
7	Machine check while in PALcode environment
8-ff	Reserved

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com