Re: New XF 4.0.1-4 debs available

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Rich Payne wrote:
>
> > something to keep in mind is that it can take a LONG time for the server
> > to start (at least on the machines I'm using X4.0.1). They've introduced a
> > BIOS emulator to do a soft reset of the graphics card. This can take some
> > time, several seconds on a EV6 600, so it may take quite a while on a
> > slower machine (like an XL266).
>
> Good point and definitely something that I forgot to mention.  This may
> also be the source of some of the problems that we've seen so far (could
> be, at least).  At first, I thought the reset was a strange and rather
> dumb move, but thinking about it more, it really is an ingenious thing to
> do :-)  I can think of more pros than cons to doing this reset, despite
> the time delay.
>
> At any rate (I ramble and digress)....the XL will probably take FOREVER to
> do this.  My SX seems reasonably fast, but probably not as fast as the
> EV6's are at doing even that task. So I guess it boils down to YMMV as far
> as the delay time.

Sometimes it takes on the order of minutes, but another run (without
changing the config) will only take about 10-15 seconds.  It may very well
have still been churning when I killed it those couple of times.  I'll try
to distract myself long enough to let the server complete from now on :).

--
	  ghandi / ghandi@dopesquad.net / www.dopesquad.net
       "Bein' Crazy is the least of my worries." - Jack Kerouac