Re: New XFree86 not working

Hi,

> I still can't save the output the usual way, I've no idea why.
> Anyway I've installed gpm and using the mouse pasted the output
> from "X -scanpci" to buffer and then written it to file.
>
> I'm attaching the output below.
>
> Edgar.
>
> --y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000000000040000
> CPU 1 XFree86(341): Oops 0
> [.... rest discarded ...]

To me, it seems, your XFree build is somewhat wrong. Have you tried the native
.tgz's, that are found on ftp.xfree.org ?
You can safely install them on top of your current X install. In order to do a somewhat
clean un-install, i strongly suggest, you do a backup of the following dirs:

/etc/X11
/usr/X11R6

given, you have a normal X setup. I usually do a copy of these dir's to another location,
like
/etc/X11 -> /etc/X11.org
/usr/X11R6 -> /usr/X11R6.org

that leaves all the files in the normal places. The Xinstall.sh, that comes with the tarballs,
happily overwrites the contents in the orginal location, as desired.
Try the 4.0.1 tarballs for alpha. They should work in your setup....

Regards,
Thomas Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )