Re: New XFree86 not working

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 09:05:44AM +0100, T. Weyergraf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [ about gfx board not working in DS20 ]
>
> I have had the same problem on my UP2000, which is very similar to a DS20.
> You're right, the problem is, that the scanpci of XFree86 4.0 and later is
> broken on Alpha's with more than one PCI Bus. I recommend, that you move the
> Grafics Board into PCI Bus 0 and configure *just that* card in your XF86Config.
> The scanpci routine, which is used via libscanpci by the Xserver, detects only
> Bus 0 properly. So any card, supported by the Xserver, will run fine there.
> It won't in Bus 1 or higher.
>
> I once submitted a patch to xfree.org fixing the problem, but unfortunately,
> they never replied to my bug report with patch. I assume, it just got dropped in the
> vast sea of bug reports ;-)
>
> Anyway, I lost the patch, but if you *really* need it, I can look into that problem again.
> I can't currently, since my UP2000 is running headless and I would need to reconfigure
> the hardware.
>
> Luckily, if you are running just one card, the above workaround should help.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Weyergraf

OK,

I'm confused now. I practically nothing about hardware. By "PCI Bus 0"
am I to understand that you mean the top PCI slot?

I've just taken a look inside my DS20 and I have 6 PCI
slots. The graphics card is in the top slot, and I have a network card in
the 4th one down. So, unless I should be counting from the bottom up,
rather than the top down, I reckon that my card is already in PCI Bus 0
and XFree 4.0.1 still hangs.

Sorry for being a complete dummy, but have I mis-understood you?

Edgar.