aboot problem

I have already sent this question to the disribution list some weeks ago
but, unfortunately, I could not connect with my news system to see if
somebody replied to me. Thanks in advance for any help!

I am trying to install Debian 2.2 in an AlphaStation 200/4 166 MHz, booting
from a CD-ROM through the SMR console.

I 'succeeded' in making a first installation, but several things did not
work okay. For example, the system was unable to start X and it also
reported some problems with the mouse. I tried to solve these problems by
reconfiguring the system using xf86config, but I did not obtain any result.

Therefore, I decided to reinstall Debian 2.2 and I am now having problems
with the installation itself:

At the step 'Make Linux Bootable Directly From the Hard Disk', the systems
fails and reports:

'... aboot was unable to install. Most likely this is because your first
partition overlaps the area where aboot was written'.

However, this is not true, since at the step of partitioning my hard drive,
I started the first partition on the 2nd cylinder, according to the
instructions of the installation program:

'... because aboot second-stage bootloader must occupy the first sector of
the disk, you will need to leave about  1Mb of empty space before the first
partition. On most of drives, it should suffice to start the 'a' partition
at cylinder 2'

And indeed it sufficed the first time I installed Debian 2.2!

I would appreciate very much any help to overcome this problem. Many thanks.

Francisco Pontiga