Re: anyone successful in compiling kernel 2.4.0-testx ?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Rich Payne wrote:

> Ah...sound Blaster live. Well, I haven't looked at the code....but FWIW
> I'd use Alsa. When I did the sound card testing in the UP1000 that's what
> we used.
>
> We've recently sent some machines to Alsa so things should be looking
> good.

That's actually a very good idea that I completely overlooked!  Alsa is
usually much better on Alpha than the default OSS drivers in the
kernel.  I wish I could speak from experience of late, but I don't have a
sound board in my SX (only in my UDBs and I admittedly haven't tried using
those in ages).

Robert, give Alsa a shot.  You'll have to compile the modules yourself,
but once installed, they should work much better than the OSS modules in
the kernel.