Re: help on initial install

I see the rescue and root images today.  Perhaps I could not see them
yesterday because Mozilla somehow masked them from me.

Yes, I would say there is definitely something missing in section 7.14
of the Alpha installation manual.  In particular, if you have the
AlphaBIOS and not SRM, you are hosed at this point.

>The install instructions seem to fail to meantion that you have to
>install the boot stuff manually (someone correct me here if I'm wrong).
>What you need to do is boot like you did the first time for the install,
>but change root to be your hdd.
>
>After you have sucessfully booted into your new install you'll have to
>'mkfs -t msdos /dev/xxx' (where xxx is where you set aside 2MB or so for
>milo and linload). The just copy milo and linload to there.
>HTH,
>
>Ron

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.|Phone:  (865)576-8645  |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory |FAX:    (865)574-9172  | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division    |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov | F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                |home fea@ispchannel.com| I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, TN. 37831-6392     |world's best neutrons  | R | X | A |