First time install on Multia/UDB

I am trying to instal Debian on my UDB. This is my first time working on an Alpha. Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated as   My system is as follows: Multia/UDB 166 Mhz, 32 MB RAM, 2 GB 2.5" IDE HD, floppy disk, Debian slink, MILO v2.0.35-c5.2

I downloaded the files rescue1440.bin and root1440.bin, and rawrited the rescue disk. I put the root on a 1.68 mb floppy (formatted to 1.68).

After setting up the boot selections it loads Milo off the rescue disk, but stops and says
MILO: unknown command, try typing help

To get the kernel booted I use

boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0

It boots up the kernel and scrolls through a bunch of stuff ending with

Partition check:
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

After inserting the root disk (same thing happens if I try to use the root.bin file that is on the rescue disk)

Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
VFS: Mounted root (msdos filesystem) readonly
WARNING: Unable to open an initial console (/dev/console)
Kernel panic: cannot open initial console

How can I get past this point? I haven't seen anything about this console in my interent searches.

To try another route I put the hard disk into my laptop and made a 10 MB dos partition, formatted it, copied the contents of the rescue disk, roott1440.bin and the driver disk. The UDB will not recognize the IDE disk. In my search for information I read this was a problem with older versions of the firmware. I downloaded the file UDBUPD38.img from Compaq's site, rawrited it to a disk exactly as they said to. After I select update firmware from the Supplementary menu it tells me "no such file". I tried rewriting the disk several times with no success.

Does anyone have any ideas to get it to recognize the IDE drive and to get past the /dev/console error? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Andrew Woodings
woodings@mstar2.net
www.et.byu.edu/~iceman/