Re: Netscape rpm won't install?

On Thu 27 Jan 2000, Ron Farrer wrote:

> I tried to install the resently released netscape rpm and here is what
> happens:
>
> # rpm -i netscape-4.7-1.alpha.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	/bin/sh   is needed by netscape-4.7-1
>
> # ls -ls /bin/sh*
>    0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Jan 15 11:56 /bin/sh ->
> bash

rpm doesn't know about deb, hence doesn't know that /bin/sh exists.
Why that silly dependency is in there is a mystery to me (you can be
fairly sure that your system won't be doing much without /bin/sh
installed anyway).

I used some force flag on rpm, i.e. rpm -i -<something> ...
I forget what it was but it's in the manpage.

> P.S. Has anyone installed it yet? How well does it work?

It works fine after you take the ,yp stuff out of /etc/svc.conf (?)

> P.P.S Has anyone made a deb of it yet?

I was thinking of doing that (making a package that'll fit with the
netscape-47 stuff already in debian), but I'm not clear on the legality;
the license for the OSF libs is a bit vague, and I don't see that the
rpm is legal either.  If it _would_ be legal, I'd do it...

Maybe Chris can talk to his Compaq contacts about this?

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/