Re: detecting SCSI tape drive

A quick message to confirm that I am experiencing the same problems.
The Alpha is different from that of Ernest Johanson (an AS1000A 5/333
rather than DS10) but the controller and tape drive are the same -
Qlogic ISP1020 PCI and DEC TLZ09. As said, with the original 2.0.36
kernel all seems okay but a kernel upgrade to 2.2.14 causes the
machine to hang on SCSI probe. A message from Fabio Bettoni on the
comp.os.linux.alpha list on 20/01 mentioned similiar problems with an
AS1000A on Rehat 6.1.

It does seem to be the tape drive. I notice that the Compaq
Installation Guide "Linux Installation and Configuration Guide for
<varous machines>" says in appendix C that problems have been
experiences with the DLZ07 and DLZ09 tape drives. It then goes on to
say:

"Specifically, when booting from a floppy [in initial install],
the system will hang during the SCSI probe phase of the boot
process. The suggested workaround is to power down the system, remove
the plug from the tape device, and then repower and reboot the
system. After the system has been installed, you can reconnect the
tape device."

However, as this thread suggests the problem is deeper than that

--
Guy Boanas