Re: Compaq Netscape problem on Debian 2.1 Alpha system

On Thu 27 Jan 2000, James D. Freels wrote:

> I have a problem getting the new Compaq-donated
> netscape package to work correctly on my Debian 2.1
> (slink) Alpha machine.  Here are the facts:

I had some friction getting it to work as well.

> (3) used alien to create a companion .dev file

I simply installed it with rpm (available as .deb)

> (8) the second and any subsequent time I run netscape
>     as a general user under kde, the X11 system hangs and I
>     have to cntrl-alt-backspace to get out X11

Are you sure it's not just hanging on DNS lookups? That's what I
noticed; it totally blocks all window manager activity, although if
you're lucky enough to have focus in an xterm you can still type.

What I did was add the following line to my /etc/hosts :

127.0.0.1       home.netscape.com

That stopped it trying to go outdoors :-)
I also removed all references to yp from one of those /etc files that
get installed. After doing that, it worked fine.

> (9) the only error message I can find that occurs during the
>     X11 hang is (and this does not occur under root)
>
>     "kaudioserver Catching fatal X IO Error. Cleaning Up."

This looks more like it's generated at the moment you hit
ctrl-alt-backspace.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/