noname, milo and kernel problems

hello

I've had my AXPpci33 for about a year now, and it has been running Slink
2.1 for almost as long. Recently I got a leased line and decided it should
work as a router/firewall. So, an upgrade to get rid of the time problems
and get a faster system, I wanted to upgrade to a 2.2 kernel.

But, the milo (2.0.30) doesn't like 2.2-kernels and I don't know how to
install a 2.2 milo, so I tried to get 2.0.38 running. I fetched the latest
slink egcs and cpp, aswell as the 2.0.38 as .deb. There's a problem with
2.0.38, it wants to add -m21164a when invoking gas (I used menuconfig,
that might matter) but replaced that with -m21066 and finally got
something that booted.

The kernel reports this
bios32.sio_fixup: weird, device 8086:0484 coming in on slot 7 has no irq line!!
(I don't know if this matters)

it continues and then halts with a scsi busy, waits a while and then
stops.

The scsi driver I compiled was the Generic NCR5380/53c400, as that was the
closest I could find, is it the wrong one? (port mode)

Equipment:

ET4000 (ISA)
NE2000 (ISA, not in pnp-mode)
3COM 3C900 (PCI)
0.2+1.0GB Conner SCSI disks

The cards have been tested with 2.2.13 on an i386-machine and worked.

Any hints about what I'm doing wrong would be very welcome!

yours
daniel