Re: debian on a DS20?

> e.denny@ic.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how to install debian alpha on a DS20. I can't
> > seem to find any of the relevant images, etc . I've found instructions for
> > redhat and suse, but so far nothing for debian. Can anyone help me
> > out?
> >

> Hi Edgar, I've just installed Debian on my XP1000, using
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html
> diskettes
>
> I then recompile kernel 2.2.14 without problem, all set now
>
> If you fell as needing help I'll be happy to export my (fresh)
> experience
>
> Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois,

After a day-and-a-half I've finally got it up and running by myself.

There were two major wrinkles:

The first was the the slink generic rescue disk got stuck in a continuous
loop - I had to replace its kernel with the one complied by Digital for
redhat and suse. Why don't they have any installation instructions for the
DS20 for debian?

The second was that the first time I rewrote the BSD disklabel, it wasn't
written properly. I had to do it a second time, reboot, and then continue
with the installation. I've no idea why I had to do this.

We also need much clearer debian specific instructions for using the SRM
console.

thanks anyway,

Edgar.