multia install problem

Hello,

          I am trying to install debian on my multia.
I am using the resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin from the noname directory
from
the stable alpha distributions. I have also gotten the root1440.bin file
from this directory.

I boot milo like so: boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0
Linux loads with no problem, when I am prompted to load the root disk
I insert the root1440.bin file ( yes I copied it to disk using rawrite)
upon which I
get the following error kernel panic unable to mount root file system on
fd0.

I have also tried using the load_ramdisk=1 when booting it made no
difference.
I have also  tried several disks so I am fairly sure it's not a media
problem.

If anyone has successfully installed debian on the multia, would please
tell me how you did it?
What disks you used, in what order and the arguments that you gave at
the milo prompt etc.

Right now I'm not even sure if I should be using the root1440.bin file.
I am assuming that because it is named root it must be the root disk.

My system is as follows:
166mhz
64mb ram
pci with scsi
external digital 1 gig hard drive
toshiba 4x cdrom (external)
bios rev 4.33
floppy drive

If this is the wrong place to ask for help I apologize.
Please tell me the correct list.

Please reply to my email address - remove the .spam
jstratton@orlando.veridian.com.spam

Thanks to any and all who can provide assistance