dpkg error help

could somebody clue me in on this one?  i've got an almost fully slink
install with a couple (maybe 5) potato packages..

dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old pre-removal script: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing libncurses4_4.2-3.deb (--install):
 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 libncurses4_4.2-3.deb

i know my X-Windows is hosed until i can get this lib installed (any
version >= 4_4.2-3)..

Dave Wiard