Re: [FOLLOWUP] Getting 2.2 kernel to work on AS500/333

On Thu 09 Sep 1999, Adam Klein wrote:

> Just checking to see if this was missed, or if nobody has any answers WRT
> it.

I think no one has answers...

> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 03:05:05PM -0700, Adam Klein wrote:
> > I installed slink pretty easily, and running Debian on an Alpha (after running
> > it on i386 for 2.5 years) is great!  However, I've had trouble getting a
> > 2.2 kernel to work.  I've tried both 2.2.7 and 2.2.12.  They both hang
> > after attempting to load the qlogicisp scsi driver.  It works fine with
> > 2.0.36 (and MILO 2.0.35).  What should I do?  Do I need a newer MILO?
> > Should I use aboot instead?

It sounds like a bug has crept into the qlogic driver somewhere between
2.0.36 and 2.2 ... Probably one of those 64-bit things so that only
Alpha suffers ;-(

Digging into the code might be the best thing. Perhaps use a symbios
810 in the meantime (while debugging), works perfectly for me in 2.2.12
and pretty cheap.

> > P.S.: Does anyone know of a good (although that's a bit of an oxymoron :)
> >       FrontPage Extensions replacement that'll run on Linux/Alpha?

I think many are curious why you would want a replacement?

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/