Getting 2.2 kernel to work on AS500/333

I installed slink pretty easily, and running Debian on an Alpha (after running
it on i386 for 2.5 years) is great!  However, I've had trouble getting a
2.2 kernel to work.  I've tried both 2.2.7 and 2.2.12.  They both hang
after attempting to load the qlogicisp scsi driver.  It works fine with
2.0.36 (and MILO 2.0.35).  What should I do?  Do I need a newer MILO?
Should I use aboot instead?

Thanks,
Adam

P.S.: Does anyone know of a good (although that's a bit of an oxymoron :)
      FrontPage Extensions replacement that'll run on Linux/Alpha?