Re: AS200 4/100 install if fd0 not available?

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 01:43:40PM -0400, MJ Watson wrote:
> Guess what?  Kept searching the web, and stumbled across something that
> got me a bit further:
>
> boot -fl i dka100 -file boot/avanti/linux -fl "root=/dev/scd0"
>
> Now, it's blowing up on an ncr53c8xx timeout.  My newest "research project".
> It appears we've got an 810.  Reading the browser screen is giving me a
> headache, and I know absolutely nothing about this driver.  Especially how
> the system will come up if it keeps hanging at this point.
>
> BTW, the dd of milo to the spare disk should've worked, but disklabel edit
> was unhappy the 'a' partition didn't begin at the start of the disk.  It
> was just a sideshow, not something to spend much time messing around with.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts, though.

I and two friends have had extremely unpleasant time with the Avanti/SRM
boots - namely, we reached EXACTLY the stage you describe here and got
stuck on SCSI timeouts.

We, in the end, got around the problem by using (either of) the
following solutions:

	1. ARC boot.
	2. Network boot of MILO

The AS200 (at least those _we_ have) have both SRM and ARC.

The network boot is accomplished as follows -

	0. issue "show dev" and note the MAC address.
	1. issue "boot -protocol bootp ewa0" at the SRM prompt.
	2. Have a bootd on another machine serve the Avanti MILO image.
	3. Continue as normal.

--
---MAV

Marc A. Volovic               | Comfort, n: A feeling one gets from
marc@bard.org.il              |   contemplating discomfort in another.
http://www.bard.org.il/~marc  |                   A. Bierce.