Patches for Postgresql on Linux/Alpha!

	On my web site are patches to fix about 99% of the problems that
exist with PostgreSQL on Alpha's running Linux. They have not been heavily
tested, but from what testing has been done, they appear to fix a number
of nagging problems in the Alpha port of PostgreSQL.
	These patches are against the 6.5.1 release tarball as available
from ftp.postgresql.org. When applied, the resulting binaries pass all
regression tests save for two:

	geometry: Minor off by one error in the last decimal place. Can be
		safely ignored provided you don't need extreme accuracy.
	rules: Minor quirk in that PostgreSQL on Alpha has a different
		default sorting order than the platform original used to
		generate the expected regression results. Can be safely ignored.

Unaligned traps are still present in a moderate amount with PostgreSQL on
Linux/Alpha. To give one a feeling of the number, 28 were generated from a
run of the regression tests. These are being worked on and should be
resolved in the future.

	Therefore, everyone with an Alpha running Linux and interested in
running an excellent SQL database, download the 6.5.1 source for
PostgreSQL, apply the patches, compile it, and pound on it. Send
reactions, evaluations, problems to either me, the Debian Alpha list,
Red Hat Alpha list, or even the PostgreSQL ports list and I will see them.

	Because the extensive changes these patches make to the main
PostgreSQL source tree, they are being and will be provided separately for
the 6.5.x releases. It is planned to roll them into the main distribution
source tree for the 6.6 release that is down the road a couple of months.
Therefore, these patches are ONLY to be applied to a PostgreSQL source
tree to be compiled on a Linux/Alpha platform. They are an interim fix to
PostgreSQL for Linux/Alpha ONLY.

	Lastly, these patches are available at
http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/software/index.html, where I
will also be posting any future updates.

	PS. Uncle George (often spotted on the RedHat axp-list) is the one
to thank for the bulk of these patches. The rest is a combined mix of
fixes by both Bruce Momjian and myself.

	DEBIAN PS: I have been in touch with the Debian PostgreSQL package
maintainer and we are working on getting a deb for Linux/Alpha released.
So, those of you who do not want to roll it yourself, just be patient a
bit longer.

	RH PS: As for the RedHat users, I do not know the status of any
alpha rpms, and announce these patches here on the axp-list in hope they
will find their way to the right people.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |