Re: AS255: UW SCSI, sound, video, kernel

> > Now, to the subject: I'd like to buy an UW or U2W controller and
> > a reasonable (price-wise) disk.
> > Unless I get strong evidence against it, I'm going for a Tekram
> > 390U2B, an ultra 2 wide LVD controller based on Symbios 53C895,
> > which I suppose should work perfectly on my Alpha (a Diamond
> > Fireport 20 with a 53C875 works very well). By the way, it costs
> > less than many ultra wide controllers.
> > I'd like to receive some advice on this. In particular, the
> > Tekram 395W (ultra wide) is interesting, but I think it is
> > unsupported even for i386.

	At the risk of running off-topic, I'd point out that the Tekram
390U2B has only 68pin connectors (internal and external), for Ultra2 LVD @
80mb/s. (They can also take ultrawide/fastwide, but then the -whole- bus
goes out of LVD mode back to ultrawide @ 40mb/s)

	In particular, the U2B does NOT have any 50-pin connectors.  For
your cdroms, zip drives, burners, etc. The U2W has all three internal
connectors, but then the price gets much closer to the Adaptec 2940U2W.

	To bring this back to the Alpha, doesn't x86 kernel support for a
scsi driver imply Alpha (and SPARC and MIPS and ...) support?

						Alex Winbow