RE: XBase-Clients, Xemacs, and gcc

On 13-Jun-99 orion@phlan.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having three problems related to these three packages in
> Alpha/potato:
>
> Several font packages for X11 have been upgraded to
> 3.3.3.1-4, and they depend on XBase-Clients >= 3.3.3.1-4 and -3 is the
> only one available making X11 unusable.  It states: "could not open
> default font 'fixed'" and does not start.

Not totally useless.  Those fonts.dir and fonts.alias files that XFree is
looking for are there, but in the etc/... heirarchy.  Copy them, or softlink
and everything's cool.  (And of course, the packager should fix it :)

> Xemacs only loads the non-gui version now, it might be because of the font
> problem with X, but I'm not sure because I cant find any of the old font
> packages to downgrade to.  (I'm running this thru an ssh connection if
> anyone is curious why im trying to use Xemacs without X11 working).

I've been having trouble getting X/Emacs v20 working on my rig since I
uninstalled it and reinstalled it a few days ago.   --configure whines about
debian-specific files being AWOL.  (My setup is of the "unstable" flavour if
this helps tracing which files are which.)

Dunno about your gcc->kernel problems.  Works here on a PC164.  However,
there's still some gcc bug with compiling NEdit.  NEdit apparently SEGV's; wish
I'd kept a non-debian compilation of it, because gcc's progress has been slow
of late to remove this stuff. :(