Re: Debina Alpha progress.

On Wed 23 Sep 1998, Wojtek Puchar wrote:

> >     I was wondering what is the current status of the Alpha port? Is it
> > stable enough for a home pc? I run RH 5.1 on a 533LX and I also have

I find it much more stable than I would have expected it :-)
Seriously, I'm convinced of its useability.

> > metrolink's Metro X server for Alpha. Is there any idea for the final

Are you satisfied with the Metro X server? What card do you use?

> > release date? One more question.

We're sort of hoping to be ready for the release of Debian 2.1, which is
planned for middle/end November.

> > What is a .deb and how does it compare to rpm? Thanks alot.
> .deb is used for the same in debian, that rpm in RedHat.
> The main difference is:
> RPM uses some strange format (designed for this only), while .deb uses
> commonly available ar format.

RPM uses a cpio-based format, with some header tacked on, I believe.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands