Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

In message "Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)", you write:

> => > The biggest problems I see are:
> => >
> => > - XF86_SVGA server locking the whole system with Millenium cards.
> =>
> => I only have this problem when trying to do 24 bits, 16 bits works OK (if
> => you avoid things like xcrystal :-).
>
> You should avoid zooming in Xdvi as well.

XF86_SVGA and XF86_S3V with ViRGE cards reliably lock up the system at
anything more than 8bpp. Netscape sometimes causes lockups even with
8bpp; this seems to be related to flashing "server-push" crap. The
lockups are usually preceeded by a lot of PCI errors in the syslog. I
assume it's a 64 bit pointer/32 bit int conversion problem. Is it worth
filing a bug report with XFree86? I presume they're already aware of it.

Another argument in favour of KGI.

Ian Willmott
Northern Telecom
Ottawa Ontario Canada