SX164 installation procedure failed

I just tried to install Debian's Alpha port on my newly bought
AlphaPC 164SX.

The first thing I tried was using Nikita's MILO images.
Unluckily the 164sx image doesn't work, my card is a noname
S3 Trio64 (which is said to work ..). I don't have any experience
with MILO, so I'm not sure if the graphics card is responsible for
that. It just stops after the Graphic cards's Text was displayed.

Using the resc1440 from Luc's page works OK up to the moment when the
root disk should be loaded. There it fails.
I tried to take a look at the root disk, but I can't see what
filesystem is is supposed to be :(

I thought that the root disk should be mountable as ext2 or minix on any
i386 (Is this true)

This is urgent, because I don't have and I don't want to install
Redhat ...

Guenter