Re: New kernels

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> Out of curiousity, how so?  And with dpkg 1.4.0.27?  Does alpha have
> the syscall numbers even more deranged than other platforms?

Dpkg 1.4.0.27 is hosed right now.  There are two of us trying to debug it,
but it's generating some wild C++ code that's hard to follow.  As for the
syscall numbers, yes, we're more deranged to keep compatibility with
Digital UNIX standards (to allow their binaries to run on Linux).  It was
a decision made awhile ago way upstream in Digital's Linux team and I
agree with it since it opens up that possibility for people needing the
compatibility.  As a result, we can't just swap syscall numbers like what
was done on the x86's (which can be arbitrary).  I am told we have a
solution, so I'm helping to try to get the changes integrated everywhere.
Right now, there are no packages with changes YET (still double-checking
things before patching), but there will be a posting on the debian-alpha
list announcing it when it's done.