libc6.1_2.0.7r-5.deb problems?

On Mon 27 Jul 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:

> Anyway, my first priority this evening is to get my XL(T)300 working
> again. I was running 2.1.97, and ran dselect to update packages from a
> local mirror. Unfortunately, the login package failed to unpack properly
> due to the chmod/lchmod (or was it chown) confusion in the kernel. I
> didn't notice in time that login was amongst the packages that had
> failed, and rebooted... Now I can't login. Not even booting with
> "single" works, as that also calls login. "init=/bin/bash" doesn't work
> either :-(

My analysis of my problem was wrong. After _finally_ getting a working
rescue and root disk (floppy I/O errors, etc) I discovered that my
problem was not a bad login package installation, or in fact any bad
package installation; it is in fact the /lib/ld-2.0.7.so contained in
libc6.1_2.0.7r-5.deb.

Whatever I try to run with /lib/ld-2.0.7.so in place gives me an
"illegal instruction" error. Changing _only_ the /lib/ld-linux.so.2
symlink to point to ld-2.0.6.so fixes everything...

Apparently I'm the only one having this problem, right?   WHY?! HELP!  :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands