Re: AS255/233 (avanti) problems

>i have just installed the base dist off ftp.debian.org and apart from havign
>a nice clean no error install (just like intel *yay*)
>i am having big problems trying to actually run anything.
>I think it's a memory problem, but i have pulled it all out , reseated it,
>but haven't quite splurged on some new stuff yet.  (will do one day there's
>only so much you can do with 32MB and RISC)
>i will be updating all installed packages over the next couple of days as i
>download the .deb 's .  how many of the packages sited at ftp.debian.org
>are stable though?
>or is it just kernels that are still playing up?
>when i have enough packages installed (like make, gcc, etc) i will try a
>kernel compile and try and work out how flaky my memory is.

Can you give some detail as to why you think it's the memory?

Incidentally, it may very well be the kernel. My avanti (AS400 4/233)
got *a lot* more stable after I started running 2.1.x kernels on it.
In particular, the ncr8xx driver seems to have lost most of its troubles.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40