Re: g77 -mieee no longer the same

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, James D. Freels wrote:

> Another interesting clue: The Debian 2.0 versions between the i386 and
> Alpha are not quite the same.  For example, in the i386 side, one
> dependency is libc6 = 2.0.7r-3, whereas on the Alpha side, the
> dependency is on libc6.1.  Also, on the intel side, the dependency is
> on the g++ package whereas on the alpha side the dependency is on the
> gcc package.

Well, the libc6<->libc6.1 situation is a long story, but both libs are the
same revision of glibc, fyi.  The nomenclature difference is due to
historic reasons.  As far as the dependencies, g77 probably should be
dependent on gcc rather g++ anyway :)

> Perhaps this problem is rooted on the Debian-alpha differences?  Is
> your Alpha installation Debian or RH ?

I doubt it's related to that...I suspect it's architecture-related, but
could also be kernel related (as a function of the architecture).

Also, my UDBs are both Debian.