Re: X11-svga crashes (Matrox)

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 12:20:25AM +0200, Marcus Maskos wrote:

> The hardware is a PC164LX and a Matrox Millennium II (8 MB). Is there
> anybody here with a similar configuration who has troubles with the
> stability of the X-server ?
>
> I get a
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>
> in 8 and 16 bit mode when I open several (>8) images or use the
> zoom function in xdvi (all mouse bottons) while moving the mouse.

This problem most definitely is in the alpha version of XF86_SVGA.

Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi> has done a great work lately in
improving this servers. You can get his patches and precompiled binaries
from ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/pub/XFree86/. The patches should eventually be
merged back in the XFree86 code base.

Using a quite new XF86_SVGA binary over my debian/hamm&slink installation, I
didn't have a single "unaligned trap" nor any crashes. But it's still not
complete, i.e. you now just can't open more than 32 windows (the prcess
trying to open the 33st window just hangs -- but that's still better than
crashing :)).

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>