Re: Debian on Miata (PWS433a)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Tommi Virtanen wrote:

> 	Hello. I have a Digital Personal Workstation 433a
> 	(miata), and Red Hat seems to have some trouble with it
> 	(and I seem to like Debian more). I'd like to try hamm,
> 	and in the process help the Debian project. However, I
> 	can't find _anything_ about Debian with miata. What
> 	boot disks should I use? I suppose these no easy answer
> 	here. Am I the only one with a PWS433?

Do you have AlphaBIOS or something else like SRM console or ARC (aka ARGH
:P)?  If it's AlphaBIOS, it might be a bit touchy (read: I'll have to
really look into it) since it wouldn't boot MILO the last time I checked.
If you somehow have SRM or ARC, you should be able to run Linux without a
problem.

Oh, one more thing, if your PW433a came with one of those PowerStorm
cards, there is still no X server for it yet (meaning you'd have to add
another card or live without X for now).  I have not heard of much effort
to get an X server together for it, unfortunately, so I don't know how
long you'd have to wait for that if you choose not to change the card out.
Plus, it's kinda a waste since the PowerStorm card is super-nice and
really should have more support than it does.

As far as I know, you're the first on here with a Miata :)  Welcome :)
I'll check into that AlphaBIOS stuff for you today.  I run a lowly UDB
(also known as my "little giant" because of the sheer volume of stuff I've
done on it), so I don't keep up with the AlphaBIOS situation, but it
should be easy enough to check on.

Chris