Re: our new alphas...

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Brandon Peterson wrote:

> At my school we just got a new 366mhz Alpha, and another will be coming in
> soon... (We got it broken, had to be fixed before we got to use it :> )

Sorry to hear about your machine troubles, but glad to hear that it's
being taken care of :)

> Anyway, once I get it running to the point of being somewhat usable, etc.
> we would be willing to make accounts for people to compile apps on. I'll
> let you all know when the machine is ready. We also have several very
> talented young men here who would be happy (willing?) to work on porting
> programs to the alpha.

Great!  A reminder, in case you missed my posting earlier...we have a
working fakeroot package now which will help you with the various security
issues involved with letting others build packages on your machine.
Granted, it does throw quite a bit of unaligned trap warnings (hey,
there's something that your guys can work on...hehehe), but it works like
a champ.

> Let me know via email about requests, etc.

I, for one, would like some access since you offered :)  I'm frequently
having to compile larger packages and it's pretty painful on my poor
166-UDB with a paltry 24MB RAM.  Smaller stuff still will be built on my
box, but at least we can get a good "engine" going for compilation of
larger stuff :)

Keep me posted on your progress with the machines.  If I can be of any
assistance somehow, let me know :)

Thanks for the offer, btw :)

Chris