Re: GCC question...

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Nikita Schmidt wrote:

> I really doubt that 2.7.2.3 is any better than 2.7.2.2 with respect to
> Alpha compiling, although I'm not sure that it actually is not.  As for

No, I know.  I just don't want to cause a deliberate dependency problem if
I can help it.  Since the only source I have immediate access to right now
is the 2.7.2.3 code that's in the hamm/source tree, so I figured I'd try
it.  Plus, we don't really have 2.7.2.2 compiled yet either, so we might
as well try while we can (from what I remember, g77-support was much
better since 2.7.2.1, which is where we are now).

> the gcc patches, most of them are incorporated into egcs
> (http://www.cygnus.com/egcs), where is it much easier to keep things
> together, to get patches incorporated etc.  In egcs, g77 has actually
> become part of source tree.

That's good to know.  By the way, how's the testing going with that?  Is
it happy with C++ stuff?  Plus, how frequent are the snapshots being
updated?  I'm just curious since I'm too busy to keep up with egcs
development.

I would guess that we could eventually switch over to it, but I'd
personally rather see an official "release" before switching.  I think
I'll check it out now since I have a little time :)

Chris