Re: Rocm packaging, how can I help?

Howdy,

maxzor, on 2022-01-04:
[…]
> As for resources, Etienne is in a better place to give you hints at Debian
> documentation (debian policy, debian developer's guide, packaging
> tooling...),

Well, if there is an entry point that gathers all important
resources for prospective contributors, that would be the web
page describing how to join the project [1] (references to the
policy manual [2] and developer's reference [3] manuals are
linked at the bottom of the page).  I merely pointed to
specifics for the rocm-team yesterday [4].

[1]: https://www.debian.org/devel/join/
[2]: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
[3]: https://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/
[4]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2022/01/msg00010.html

> On 1/4/22 3:59 PM, Jon Chesterfield wrote:
> > What can I do to help / where is your packaging/patching effort organized?
> I can't say for sure but, until now people seem to have been working on ROCm
> packaging mostly sequentially: Norbert Preining started the initial
> packaging
> work for the beginning of the stack a few years ago back at ROCm 2/3, Mo
> Zhou
> continued a year ago. Cordell Bloor rallied the team in May and triggered
> very
> informative discussions, alongside Etienne Mollier, which took the reins in
> the
> packaging work and supervision. I reached out to the team a few weeks ago.
> Having several people working at the same time on packaging would be some
> first-world problem, which is not bad.
> How do people do project management these days?

My understanding of the situation and of the way the Debian
project has been working since its infancy, the slicing of the
different components of the operating system in packages more or
less equates to project tasks, which could be affected to
different people.  Of course not all packages are equal in size
and complexity.  I /think/ the work remained sequential partly
because of the interleaving between the different rocm packages,
which may make the packaging effort a bit delicate to approach
from several fronts at once.

> Is Trello acceptable? Hopefully not reinventing any battle-tested Debian
> wheel,

Salsa includes some sort of todo items engine (possibly deemed
rudimentary compared to Trello, but I can't say for sure, I have
used neither of them as of yet).  Not sure this has been battle
tested to day, but that would be a resource under Debian
umbrella at least.  In any case, Thanks for having taken the
time to sort the different issues at play!

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da