Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 06:54:25PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> >> "MJH" == Mikolaj J Habryn <dichro-f8516fbf@eris.rcpt.to> writes:
>
> MJH> So, a new package can drop package-specific variable descriptions
> MJH> neatly into that hierarchy, run update-variables, and forget about
> MJH> them, other than filing a bug report against whichever package they
> MJH> should be moved into. The question of which package /should/ contain
> MJH> them I'll leave open.
>
> I don't fuly understand this: Do you suggest these files should also
> hold the value this variable should use, so that the postinst script
> would use the value instead asking the user?

This is how I understood it.

> I think this is like the database Wichert will work on, no?

If I am not mistaken Wichert wanted a central config database as a package.
Problem: A new package might need some configuration option which is not in
the config-package.

Mikolaj just suggested to have each option described with the package.

> Otherwise: what use would these description have?

It supplies the information what this option is about, for example:

mail/smarthost:
    This is the host all mail is forwarded to.
    [...]

> Ciao,
> 	Martin

cu