Re: Advice about copyright

Xavier Grave <grave@ipno.in2p3.fr> writes:

> On the way to package NARVAL, I have noticed that the upstream sources are
> lacking copyright mention in all files.
>
> Does anyone has an idea how to solve this ? I was thinking about a copyright
> file in the main directory but I'm not sure this is the best way to do so.
> Or do I need to follow the example of GNAT where all files are copyrighted
> (as I have done for log4ada) ?
>
> Any advices will be very welcome, xavier

The best course would be to consult a lawyer for the organization that
owns the copyright. From what you've said, making this into a Debian
package would benefit that organization, so they should be willing to
help.

Copyright law differs from country to country.

It is certainly common practice to put a brief copyright notice in
every file, referencing the complete license. Following common
practice should make it easier to defend the copyright and license in
a lawsuit, and for others to find the license.

--
-- Stephe