Dialog for dpkg-based package configuration

Hi

On my system for daily use, I can use dialog-based configuration UIs just fine
(BRLTTY). It was installed using the accessible Debian installer.
An example is `dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

However, in a cloud setting, I am working with temporary containers that I set
up using a script. When installing locales, the shown dialog is not using the
"real" TTY cursor, but visual highlighting.
Which setting, probably set by the installer, changes this behaviour?

Thanks
Sebastian