Re: debian installer accessibility for arm64

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 09:07:14PM -0500, Frank Carmickle wrote:
>I'm trying to boot the debian installer image for arm64 under the utm
>wrapped qemu on Macos.

I've just installed Debian this way on a M1 Mac yesterday with braille.

>I've tried different emulated sound devices but the modules are not being
>loaded for any sound cards.

What do I have todo to test speech based installation where sound is needed?
As said, I am using braille, for that reason I've never installed a system
where sound was needed during installation. However, I'd like to test it...

BTW.: I was able to get a amr64 based Debian installed on my M1 Mac with
UTM and braille support. After installation sound was presend and I was able
to use Mate out of the box. Also braille was working when the braille device
was connected to the VM. The only problem is the capslock key which is used
as screen reader key for Orca and VoiceOver on the Mac. For VoiceOver
capslock has to be disabled as the screen reader key to not overlap with Orca
keystrokes when working in the VM. But the bigger problem is, and thats also
the case with Windows VMs, that capslock on a Mac uses another keyboard
code and therefore the capslock key is not recognized by the virtual
machine. There are tools like Karabiner Elements which can remap capslock
on the Mac to behave like e.g. the insert key in the VM, but I had no
success to get this working so far, will look in this later.

If anyone has an idea what needs to be done for remapping capslock to e.g.
the insert key please let me know. Maybe I can do the remapping in the linux
VM and Karabiner-Elements is not needed, which would be much better.

Also I noticed some strange output on my brailledevice during installation
and the different parts of the installer were somehow not displayed that
good as using the installer on a normal PC. I'd like also to take another
look into this issue, because the installer should be as good to use as on
other architectures.

Ciao,

  Schoepp